I like a more delicate headband style, so the bands are all made with 5mm elastic that I picked up at Hobby Lobby. The flowers on the teal headband were cut with an Original Sizzix die I've had forever called, Flower Layers by Emily Humble. You can still find it online here and there. The pink one is made with the Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die and the orange one is made with the Sizzix 3D Flowers die.
The process is the same for all of the bands. I started with some fabric scraps, which I cut into flower shapes using my Sizzix Big Shot and dies. The trick to getting the dies to cut through fabric is to throw in an extra "layer" in your die sandwich. I included a sheet of cardstock on top of my top layer to give it more tightness and ensure a clean cut. My die sandwich went as follows: bottom cutting plate, die, fabric, top cutting plate, piece of cardstock.
I cut out a few flowers in different fabrics and arranged them in a clustered row. One note of caution is that if you use cotton fabric like I did, there's nothing to keep the edges of the flowers from potentially fraying a bit over time. This doesn't bother me since I like that type of look, but be sure to use felt or some other non-fraying fabric if you like a cleaner style.
I wanted some of the flowers to have a bit of dimension, so I got out my Prima Esplanade flowers, which come white, and sponged some Spun Sugar Distress Ink onto the petals' edges.
I also quite enjoy tulle, so I pinched together a bit of it and cut a hole in it using the Crop-A-Dile. I threaded a brad through the tulle and stuck it through my Prima flower.
Now that I had all my components, I glued them together (fabric flowers to each other where they overlap, then the Prima flower with the brad on top). I used a glue gun to make life easy. Next, I flipped my flower grouping over, cut a piece of white felt, and hot glued it to the back of my flower grouping to give it more stability and structure.
I prepared my elastic by cutting it to the right length (around 17 inches to allow for a bit of overlap and to ensure it wouldn't be too tight), and then sewed it together. The elastic comes in different colors and I used pink elastic for this headband.
I put my flower cluster on the bottom, then glued my elastic to it, then glued another piece of felt on top to cover where I'd stitched the elastic together. It would be more sturdy if I'd sewed the whole thing together, but I've never had any problems with the hot glue not holding up.
I flipped it back over and wah-la! Instant cute headband!
Here's a picture of the teal one being modeled by the cutest little person in the history of ever (in my totally unbiased opinion, of course). And thanks to my amazing photographer friend, Amy, for this fabulous pic:
Here are the supplies I used for my headbands, which you can find at Simon Says Stamp:
It is indeed "Anything Goes" week, so there's no reason not to throw your hat in the ring! Upload a picture of your creation to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog and you'll be automatically entered in the weekly drawing for a $50 voucher to Simon Says Stamp!