Tuesday, July 16, 2013

My Cards and Tags: Summer in Winter

When I made this tag today, I wanted to celebrate all those people out there who are fighting against unbelievable odds and still manage to somehow lift the rest of us.  They inspire simply by keeping the faith when its seems nearly impossible to see light anywhere.  These people are precious to my soul and they truly have the ability to "maintain a kind of summer even in the middle of winter."


The stamp of the woman was so thought-provoking and perfect for this project.  It's from B Line Designs and is called "Anticipation."

I used a large tag from Prima for the background, painted a bit of Gesso on it where the woman's image would go, then stamped her on the tag.  I then covered the woman and stamped a circular pattern on the background with Tim Holtz Peacock Feathers distress ink and a homemade circle stencil.  Then I sprayed the top of the tag with Heidi Swapp Black Velvet color spray and Dylusions London Blue ink spray.


When it was dry, I unmasked the image and painted the woman's clothes with watercolors.  I used chalk to color her skin.  I used acrylic green and yellow paint to color the rest of the tag, then I added the fabulous sentiment from Thoreau at the bottom (a stamp from Inkadinkado).  I finished the tag by adding yarn from Crystal Palace at the top.

I hope this tag looks like what I was trying to convey, which is hope standing strong in the heart of dark days.  We all have dark days, but I truly am grateful for those who have taught me to never lose sight of the sunshine.