Saturday, January 19, 2013

My Cards and Tags: Chalkboard Bird Card

I have seen SO many adorable chalkboard cards lately!  Some of them are computer-generated, but I thought I'd try my hand at the chalkboard look.  Here's the result:


Since this was my first chalkboard attempt, I don't know what's "right" or "wrong," but I can at least tell you what I did.  I started with a piece of DCWV black cardstock and VersaMagic ink in the shade of "Cloud White."  

The stamped image is actually two stamps.  The bottom part (the "Friends Forever" sentiment), is from TPC Studio and I bought it at JoAnn's.  The bird part is from Lost Coast Designs.  I stamped them onto the black cardstock with the VersaMagic ink, then shook on some opaque white embossing powder ("Snow") from Recollections.  After shaking off the excess powder, I shot it with my heat gun for the raised embossed look.  

I dabbed a Kleenex into the white ink, then smudged and rubbed it onto the black cardstock for that erased chalk look.  I finished off the card with some patterned paper from My Mind's Eye and 7 Gypsies and a paperclip.

The chalkboard look has definitely been a fun trend to see and there are all sorts of variations you can do with it.  I look forward to exploring it more!